Wednesday, June 20, 2012

A "Cool" Memory

Today is easily one of the hottest days of the year.  Not that I'm complaining, since my reaction to cold temperatures usually involves a ridiculous show of convulsions accompanied by a slew of whiny noises.  Yeah, I'd much rather be hot.

I was flipping through some of my pictures and came across this one.  I actually stopped and stared at it for a couple of reasons.  One, because I fancied the idea of slathering myself with icy handfuls of snow.  Second, because I miss my Patches.  I have many fond memories of my dear, late Patches, but this photo reminds me of one of my most vivid.


January 12, 2011 - I awoke this weekday morning to more snow than the weatherman had anticipated.  Fearing my little car wouldn't be able to conquer the slick, un-plowed back roads of my little town, I decided to wait it out for an hour or so before driving into work.  Luckily my boss approved and delayed work for a couple of hours.  At 23 I still reacted to freshly fallen snow the same way a 5 year old would.  Incredibly giddy to capture the beauty of this particular morning, I threw on my boots, tossed on a jacket, and grabbed my new camera.  Being the loving companion that he was, Patches was by my side wagging his invisible tail.  If I had a tail, I'm sure I'd be wagging it too.

I've noticed that when it snows, my body seems to become immune to cold.  Maybe it's because I'm enchanted by the wondrous playground before me.  Or maybe it's simply because I'm not focusing on how cold it is and subsequently acting a fool.  I waded through the snow, snapping pictures of icicles and ground that had not yet been imprinted with footsteps.  All the while I would stop and soak in the moment.  I would think of how much I enjoyed snow, how quiet the world seems to be when it snows, how bright and alive the woods look even though the trees were naked and baron.  My reflective thoughts were often interrupted by Patches romping around in front of me or nudging my leg in what I interpreted as "Let's keep exploring!"  Onward!

Patches and I took pictures for about an hour.  At one point he located an apple that had been buried in inches of snow, dug it up, and gnawed on it like the little porker that he was.  Either Australian Shepherds are scent hounds, or Patches just had a nose for any and all food.  Definitely the latter.


On hot days like this, it's fun to think of snow and icy temperatures.  In the winter we can't wait until we're melting in the sun, begging for a swimming pool or a popsicle.  In the summer we decide that shoveling snow wasn't half as bad as we thought it was way back in February.  Either way, it's important to enjoy the "here and now".  I did just that on that brisk January morning with Patches, and now I have a cool memory to visit whenever I miss the cold or my Patches.

No comments:

Post a Comment